Sunday, June 16, 2013

June 16, 2013: A lovely Sunday

My first day with the sisters began bright and early with mass at 8:00 AM at a small church in the neighborhood. It was very nice and it was interesting to see the differences between this church and others to which I have been here. During the homily, the priest discussed (as far as I could tell) an event that happened at Maternidade Nascer Cidadao this week. On Tuesday, a woman had her baby in the waiting area because when she arrived she was told to wait for an available room. I am not exactly sure what happened and why she did not speak up and say that she needed a room immediately, but, in the end, the media has made this news known throughout Goiania. The sisters actually live in a neighborhood adjacent to the hospital, so it was fitting for the priest to discuss as I suspect many of the people in the neighborhood know the woman to whom this happened. As repercussion, two of the three directors of the hospital have been relieved of their positions as directors. 

After mass and a quick trip to the vegetable market, Thaynara picked me up to go with her to a party that she and her classmates were having. It was so much fun! It was a barbeque and now that I know more people and a lot more Portuguese, it was great to just relax and try to enjoy the heat. The best part of the afternoon was when the sun finally went down (ok it was only 6:00 PM because it was winter) and I could finally take advantage of the basketball hoop Thaynara's friend had in her driveway. Since basketball here is a little bit neglected, everyone was amazed that I knew what I was doing and we ended up playing four 
against one at one point (the one being 
me!!!). It was hilarious and so much fun!

One of Thaynara's classmates has a baby and she came to the party too! She did not like anyone else so I was the only one who got to hold her. Thaynara tried and she cried!