Friday, June 28, 2013

June 28, 2013: A spring garden and some gardening

The PSF in Jardim Primavera
In the neighborhood called Jardim Primavera (Spring Garden), there is another PSF. Today I went some colleagues of Professora Vera to this PSF to administer a similar meeting to the one I attended on Tuesday. The people who work there were meeting to discuss the pros and cons of their operation as well as their plans for the future to address the challenges they find most pressing. The meeting on Tuesday was very calm: everyone participated and the meeting ran smoothly. In this meeting, the people were much more aggressive and the social workers who were running it had a much more difficult time keeping order. For me it was interesting to see the difference in the dynamic. I learned afterwards that the PSF in Jardim Primavera is newer and so is still learning how to function. When it was all said and done however, it seemed that both PSFs I have visited face similar problems that will only be resolved by a change in the system (something someone at both meetings pointed out).

Sister Joana and I enjoyed ice cream for lunch today after the PSF meeting.
To keep up with the garden theme, this afternoon I worked weeding the sisters' gardens, a task I plan to finish tomorrow. I think it is one way I can give a little bit back to the sisters who have so generously welcomed me into their home and their lives, showing me everything they do. I think the way they have been teaching me about their service in their community and the way that everyone in the community loves them shows just how much they serve and give of themselves. Though some might consider them nontraditional, I think that it is more important to see the good that they do for others and the way they serve God through serving others.

After dinner, Sister Maria Jose and I went to the church where she works for mass and after we attended a surprise birthday party at one of the parishioner's houses. It was really a great party, with practically a whole other dinner and cake! However, in true Brazilian fashion, many people did not arrive at the party on time and so the food was not served until nearly 11:00 PM. While we were waiting for the food and even again after we ate, Maria Jose and others at the party tried to teach me this Brazilian card game. It is SO strange and to me it seemed like there was no pattern. There was however a lot of screaming, eyebrow raising when certain cards were dealt, and trying to pretend you had a card you really did not have. Believe me, I was confused and needless to say, I did not learn how to play. It was hilarious to watch the others though. And, leaving the party at 1:00 AM was certainly something I never expected would happen!