Friday, May 10, 2013

May 10, 2013: Day 5 at Maternidade Nascer Cidadao, End of Week 1


Me with the Directors of the Maternidade Nascer Cidadao (in my scrubs!) 
and one of the doulas who will be having her own baby in a few months.

This week I have seen a total of eight births, given baths, taken many fetal heartbeats, and tomorrow I am attending a doula class for the community at Maternidade Nascer Cidadao (it's in Portuguese though so hopefully I understand some of it).

One thing I learned today that was striking was that Brazil has a lack of obstetricians. At this hospital, unless there is a major problem, the births are attended by obstetric nurses and interns from the universities in the city, which is much different than in the United States. Maternidade Nascer Cidadao only has three obstetric doctors who also all have their own practices at other locations. I also was told that the hospital very recently had to discontinue its prenatal care because it did not have enough staff and the doctors did not have enough time. Therefore, the women are forced to go to the public health clinics in the city for prenatal care which do not have doctors or money either. Despite this though, everyone is willing to teach me whatever they are doing and share whatever they have. Obrigada por tudo!