Monday, July 1, 2013

July 1, 2013: It's a small world after all!



The first thing on my agenda for today was to get a haircut. The weather here is so dry right now that my hair was not cooperating any more and required a little bit of attention. Therefore, I got a lovely little trim...meaning about one and a half centimeters! When your mother is a hair dresser and no one else has ever given you a haircut, they become a little more stressful! I know, how daring of me, but really it was just what I needed and I should not have been worried at all.

For lunch today we went to a great restaurant in Goiania called Tribo d'Acai to eat Acai. Acai is a fruit from the Amazon which is dark purple and is very nutritious. It is prepared like ice cream, but without milk and is so tasty with granola and strawberries or bananas. The more interesting part of the story though, is why we went to eat Acai today. It was because my mom told me that her Guatemalan friend, Karin, who lives in Michigan in the same city that I do, has a friend, also a Guatemalan named Luis, who lives and works here in Goiania! What a small world! Brazil is enormous and Hillsdale, MI is tiny! It is even crazier because I have been to Tribo before, the restaurant where he works, to eat Acai and all that time we both knew the same person in Michigan.


This is when I met Luis at Tribo

In the evening, I went to my last library time at the Sisters' library. The month of July is usually holiday month in Brazil so there will not be another meeting again until after I leave in August. We had a great time playing games and reading stories this time. The older girls that came today tried to teach me a game where you have to look at two pictures and combine the two words that describe the pictures to make a third word. This third word is the answer and it is a race to see who can come up with it first. Let me tell you it is humbling to be completely lost among these kids! I am pretty much illiterate so it was a challenge to stay patient while they laughed at me trying to keep up with them. I am learning new words every day though and learning to read some things as well. There is still hope for fluency...