Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July 16, 2013: Planning

This afternoon, Professora Vera and I spent some time in the Tropical Disease Hospital of Goias to plan a visit for me there for next week. We were received graciously there by the social services department and directed to the correct office to schedule a more thorough and informative visit. This hospital is very large and as is common here has trouble with having space for all the patients who need treatment. As indicated by its name (The Tropical Disease Hospital of Goias), it is a hospital for tropical diseases like Dengue and Chagas, but it also is for certain sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV and AIDS. I will be able to explain more once I actually have the experience there. The hospital is a reference hospital for similar tropical disease hospitals in other states in Brazil and is the only hospital in the state of Goias equipped to treat some tropical diseases. This is a good example of how many in Brazil are underserved by the existing health care system. The structure for bringing patients from all over the state to the hospital is lacking and depends heavily on the patients health care plan, or lack there of.

I actually had to buy some allergy medicine today as well. Since I was with Lila (Dr. Mauro's wife) at the time, she swiped her health care plan card for me before I paid so that I would receive her discount at the drugstore. I was very thankful because I paid only R$10 instead of the R$23 I would have paid without her card! It was almost a little shocking to think that people who have the public health care plan from the government (meaning they do not receive a discount at drugstores) face this problem daily. I suppose it is the same in the United States though, thinking about what portion of prescription medicines different insurance plans will pay. Today is day seventy-three in Brazil and I am thankful to still be learning!