Sunday, July 28, 2013

July 28, 2013: Sister Maureen's Community


My day began bright and early after staying out late with the sisters last night at the finale of Integration Week in Sister Joana’s community of Jesus de Nazareth by waking up for the Sunday celebration at Sister Maureen’s community Sao Carlos Houben/Nossa Senhora de Santa Eucharista around 7:00 AM. Every other Sunday, Sister Maureen’s community does not have a priest to celebrate mass at their church and therefore has just a celebration of the Eucharist. There are a few community members, as well as Sister Maureen, who are trained to lead the ceremony. Today, Sister Maureen was in charge, and dressed in the green robes of the priest, her leadership made the ceremony feel rather Anglican! It was very evident that her community respects her and her vocation and it was great to see everyone’s enthusiasm for welcoming Sister Anita and I to celebrate with them. At the end of the mass, we were called to the front with the people who were celebrating birthdays and everyone sang for us. 

As soon as the celebration was over and we returned to the house, I prepared for Dr. Mauro to pick me up for a final dinner with the Barra family. We had churrascu and bacalau for dinner while we reminisced about my time in Brazil. With Senhor Barra I watched part of the DVD from Marcelo Barra’s concert on June 12 that I went to see with the family. I even appear a few times in the DVD as the camera man pans the audience! After some sad goodbyes and see you next times, Mauro, Lila, and I went to visit their first grandchild, Alvaro, so that I could meet him before I go home (He was born June 22, just after I attended his baby shower on June 9). Since Alvaro was recovering from his one month shots, we did not stay long, but I am glad to say that he is adorable and healthy. The final stop of the evening was to visit Lila’s goddaughter, Helen, as she too just had a baby three weeks ago and I was hoping to meet him too before I went home. Henrique is doing well also and is so cute with his chubby cheeks.