Wednesday, July 24, 2013

July 24, 2013: Home Visits with Servico Social

Aside from perfecting my own skills at baking pao de quiejo today, I spent the day doing a lot of translation.

The sisters have asked me to write a piece describing my experience in Brazil for their website. I of course obliged and when I told Sister Joana that I was finishing with it, she said, "Ok, now translate it into Portuguese for the Portuguese website." AHHH!!! Well, I did it. I translated the English version as best as I could, so Sister Joana and I spent part of the day correcting it. Let's just say that it was a lot of work! I learned a lot though, especially about accents and spelling. We also had a few good laughs at words that I thought were words but that I actually made up and times that my translation did not mean exactly what I was hoping. For example, when I tried to say that my time in Brazil has been fruitful, I said something closer to time in Brazil is like a fruit!

My second opportunity for translation today occurred when Anita and I went with Professora Vera, who not only teaches Social Services but also is a Social Service worker for the city of Goiania, to make some home visits. (This is yet another time that the government has instituted the model of the Pastoral da Crianca.) A driver from the city took Vera, Anita, and me to the three houses that Vera needed to visit. At the first and the third house, no one was home. In the second house, however, where a man requesting the government health plan pay for transportation for him to and from dialysis three times per week resides, we were able to see an example of what Vera teaches in the classroom. I was the translator for Sister Anita, who is doing a great job learning Portuguese but still has a little trouble understanding. The man whom we were to visit was not home, but his daughter-in-law, in whose house he resides, was available to explain the situation for us. The point of the visit was for the Social Service department to gather information to justify the person's request for public assistance. We discussed the man's condition as well as his routine, family situation, and his finances. Since I only have been on one such visit, I think it would not be wise for me to say whether or not I think he will be eligible for assistance from the government, but it did seem like Vera was optimistic.

One thing that troubled me about this process was its inefficiency. Why could the workers not drive their own cars? And, why was it worth it to chance that the residents would not be available when we arrived at their houses? Well, Vera described for the that the people whom they serve primarily often are very anxious to receive the government's assistance as it will alleviate their financial burdens and usually they are not in good health. Therefore, it is better for the Social Service department to risk a visit rather than to make appointments because if the Social Service worker is not able to go to the meeting because a public service car and/or driver is unavailable, the person in need would be under more stress and have more anxiety. What's more is that the people being served do not always have phones and so making an appointment is impractical.

Sister Maureen giving part of the talk for Integration Week.
After a quick dinner, we set out once again for the Church of Jesus de Nazareth for Integration Week festivities. Tonight we discussed the characteristics of living well as a community. We talked about the principles of living well and defined them, including things such as communication, respect for ourselves and for others, and education. We had small group discussions and shared with the larger group as well. At the end of the night, we played a little game. Each person had to bring something with them to trade, such as a homemade craft or any small gift. We each traded for something we thought was valuable and discussed the difference in a thing's monetary value and its value to a person. I took pao de queijo to trade and ended up with a key chain of the Sisters of St. Joseph.